Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Week #23

Hello mom!
 
 I bought some fleece leggings! I don't know if I told you that already. But they are a life saver! I also got some hats. It's been so cold! But the past couple of days have been unusually warm. I'm hoping I don't get transferred! Sister Miller says I need to stay for one more transfer so I can sing at the Christmas party haha. But I would really love to stay in this ward for Christmas. So pray really hard I stay.  Can you believe Thanksgiving is next week already? And Christmas is in just like 35 days or something. Where is the year going? And this is the last week of this transfer! I think this has been the fastest transfer so far. We'll found out next Monday if we stay or go.
 
Well we had a baptism on Saturday! Let me tell you something, EVERYTHING goes wrong on the day of a baptism. It's insane how much Satan tries to stop it. But Ray made it and he got confirmed yesterday. When they said "receive the Holy Ghost" he said he felt it go right through him and that it was a really neat experience. He was just smiling and super happy. I love baptisms! Monday we had a chapel tour with our investigator Jessica to try to get her to church. She brought her son Heath and he was completely calm the whole time in the church. Then the minute we walked out he was back to his crazy self. Coincidence? I don't believe in those. We also watched The Prophet of the Restoration with Ray that night. Did you know they redid it? It's not as good as the one they played on temple square. It feels more political rather than truly getting a feel for Joseph Smith's character and who he was. But nevertheless, the spirit was incredibly strong. A little miracle happened on Tuesday! We went to go visit a potential and his fiancee opened the door. We asked when a good time would be to come back and she said "for the both of us, how about next Tuesday." We didn't even ask her if she wanted to be a part of learning about the gospel. She just included herself! How great is that? We ate dinner at a member's Tuesday night and they were having a birthday party! We had Monsters University cake. It was delicious. We met with a member Wednesday whose husband is Baptist. She was expressing how much fear she has of never being sealed to her children. He is a really nice guy though and they have a good deal where they go to our church one week and go to his the next. So at least he lets her go to church! And he has taken the lessons before but is held up on Joseph Smith. I just want to help her! Because her husband is a super righteous man and she just wants him to be a part of this church. Lately we've been having a problem of going over to teach lessons and people just end up preaching to us. It is exhausting. They say they want to learn then they're just like "no, it's this way" and then spend 30 minutes reiterating what we're trying to teach. I think just because it comes out of our mouth it's wrong. I think those people think they're going to save us. It's really frustrating because I just want someone to listen. I want a spirit filled lesson where the Holy Ghost can teach and testify to these people of the truth. We had dinner with Cora Louis on Thursday night. Her daughters are the ones who got baptized in October and her husband Jacquie is not a member. He completely opened up to us and after we left Sister Hicken said we needed to go back and ask him if he'd like to take the lessons. So we did, and he said he would talk to Cora and let us know on Sunday. We raked leaves for some of Sister Miller's friends who she's been trying to share the gospel with. They just had a baby and have been super stressed. Service is so powerful in softening hearts. A simple act of kindness works wonders! Well, I would be lying if I said missionary work is simple. It's definitely hard and has it's challenges. But I read a story this morning by a girl who is a convert to the church. She said that you can look for happiness in all places and it will last for a season, but the gospel is never fleeting. It's that sure rock that we can always count on for our happiness. I love this gospel. I love that we have it in its fullness. What a blessing!
 
Love you!
 
Sister Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment